Miuccia Prada Bianchi is a recognized Italian designer and fashion designer, one of the richest women on the planet, the granddaughter of Mario Prada, founder of Prada label in 1913.
Miuccia Prada was born on May 10, 1949 in Milan. It was a time of changing aristocratic foundations in the world of fashion, industrialists were rapidly growing rich and could enter any door with the help of a growing fortune. The atmosphere of time in which the girl grew up was different from that in which her prudent grandfather, a millionaire, made his fortune.
Mario Prada died when the girl was 9 years old and the company was headed by the mother of Miucci - Louise (Luise).
In childhood and adolescence, Miuccia loved to experiment with her image. She dressed in outfits of various styles and this very amused young fashionista. The hippie image, ethno-style, futurism in clothes - everything was tried by the wealthy heiress of the fashion house. She did not think about how much the chosen image suits her, with Miuccia sets she created herself a mood.
Learning and life before ....
After leaving school, the girl was in no hurry to continue the family tradition and dilute the world of fashion with fresh ideas. She entered the University of Milan and began to study political science. Hereditary business seemed to her stupidity, a waste of time.
In 1970, Miuccia graduated from the University, and in 1972 he defended two doctoral dissertations and became a doctor of political and philosophical sciences. She joins the Communist Party, while actively participating in the movement to protect women's rights.
In 1973, Miuccia decided on a new direction of activity, going to study pantomime at Teatro Picco, where for five years he mastered the wordless form of stage art.
Family business is a matter of life
In 1978, Miuccia took over the reins of the company "Prada Sp.A". She is not yet ready to give up her views on fashion, and the political orientation of her thoughts is quite clearly manifested in the first models created.
Sexy corsets and deep necklines, according to the novice fashion designer, are not the main condition for the beauty of a woman. The attractiveness of the weaker sex should be expressed in behavior and education.
However, over time, the fashion industry begins to entice the heiress of the Prada home. Miuccia realizes that through collections she can convey her ideas to the public and create certain moods.
At the time Miuccia was at the helm of the Prada label, the company was creating leather bags, travel accessories and cosmetic bags. Even then, the products were recognizable in Italy and some manufacturers tried to fake a successful label.
In 1978, at the fair, the girl met one of such entrepreneurs from Toscana (Toscana) - Patrizio Bertelli (Patrizio Bertelli). The designer owned his own leather goods factory, had many useful contacts and acquaintances. Its products were sold not only in Italy, but also in European markets.
A meeting with a successful entrepreneur opened up new opportunities for Prada. Miuccia and Patrizio entered into a joint production agreement under the label Prada.
In 1978, the musical Twentieth Century inspired Miucci to a new collection of bags, and in 1979 the first stand-alone boutique was opened on 57th Street in New York.
Firm and family growth
- In 1979, the first Prada shoe collection was presented to the public;
- In 1984, the famous Miuccia Prada backpack was created from nylon, the object of desire of all fashionistas and women of fashion;
- In 1987, a pair of designers announced their intention to enter into a legal marriage. Their mutual sympathy and fruitful joint cooperation encouraged the adoption of such a decision. A year later, the first heir to Lorenzo is born;
- Miuccia did not stop working even bearing a son. The result of her work was the first collection of clothes for women prêt-à-porter presented in 1989. In addition to dresses, the collection included new models of shoes and accessories. Critics ambiguously took a test step, calling it raw, but noting the presence of hidden potential;
- In 1990, the spouses gave birth to a second son - Giulio, and in the same year, spouse and mentor of Miucci - Patrizio Bertelli develops and prepares for display the first collection "Prada" for men. This time the models attracted even more attention, turned out to be more successful than in the collection for women;
- In 2000, designers developed the first collection of glasses;
- In 2004, the first fragrance from Prada was introduced to the world.
Bertelia became for Miucci not only a business partner, but also the engine of the whole business. Today, she does not imagine a company without the participation of her spouse. It was he who had a hand in creating a huge network of Prada boutiques, he made profit from any collection of his wife and he also made new brands recognizable and in demand.
Having gained popularity in the West, in Europe, in North America and in Asia, the Prada triangle emblem has become a sign of style and quality. Such designers as Azzedine Alaya, Jil Sander, Fendi, Helmut Lang and other celebrities worked on the collections.
Brands and new directions
Expanding the range of products gradually leads the designers of the fashion house "Prada" to create a completely new brand. It becomes “Miu Miu”. This name is called Miuccia closest friends and relatives. A new direction of simple colors and styles was developed in 1992 for young people who want to wear fashionable clothes, but cannot afford to spend fabulous money on it. First, women's clothing went on sale, then men's clothing.
The first show caused a storm of delight among potential buyers and the discontent of critics. They believed that the pricing policy of the brand did not correspond to the elite policy of the Prada fashion house, but the presentation of models in London and New York met the expectations of designers. Sales began to grow at a tremendous pace.
The distribution of the Miu Miu collections through the Prada network has helped the new brand quickly gain the recognition of a large number of fans.
Not stopping there, in 1997 the Prada Linea Rossa denim line was presented to the public, and in 1998 the Prada Sport line was sports and leisure clothing.
In 1999, Prada and Donatella Versace developed a uniform for the British football team Manchester United.
The first collection of the Miu Miu brand brought the Council of Fashion Designers of American International Award, an original Oscar for designers, to the Miucche.
Prada became the winner in the nomination “The best designer of accessories” and “The best foreign designer”.
- In 1998, the designer was awarded the Italian Leonardo Quality Award (The Leonardo Qualità Italia).
- In 2007, the winner of the wallpaper magazine was the winner of the Wallpaper - Design Award.
- In 2010, Prada received an American Academy Award in Rome for her contribution to art.
- In 2015, she was awarded the Order of Merit for the Italian Republic (Ordine al merito della Repubblica Italiana).
Each time at the end of the show of their collections, Miuccia Prada does not pass, like other fashion designers, to the end of the catwalk. She goes onto the catwalk and immediately hides behind the curtains. This behavior is dictated by the reluctance of the designer to compete with the pretty models.
Prada House monitors social networks and always invites the most famous bloggers to the shows of their collections.
In 1995, Miuccia and Patrizio founded the Prada Foundation for Contemporary Art, which has become the most significant in Italy.
Prada today has over 250 stores located in 65 countries around the world.
In 2005, according to Forbes magazine, Miuccia Prada is on the top of the list of the richest people in the world, with a fortune of three billion dollars.
In the 10th issue of Love Magazine, photographers Marcus Pigotti and Mert Alas (Mert Alas & Marcus Piggotti) took photos for Miuccia Prada in which she was a model.
Several of Prada's main stores are huge, modern architecture buildings. For example, in the United States, the store's architect was Rem Koolhaas, and in Tokyo, the architectural bureau of Harvard teachers Jacques Herzog and DeMeuron.
- "I hate talking about myself."
- “I know that random meetings are the only way to tell the truth. I know that fashion is a means to conquer others and not give out oneself. I know that I will never wear anything turquoise. Or maybe I'll wear it, right tomorrow. I know that my path is both difficult and interesting as never before. I know that cinema has given me as much as reading books, and much more than painting. I know that the recipe for my work is the right combination of ideas. I know that contemporary art is needed to understand life. "
- "... I'm trying to make men more sensitive and women more powerful."
- “When I first started, fashion was the worst kind of activity for me, the left feminist. It seemed to me that by creating things, I was doing something of little significance. Then I wanted to engage in politics. Now I’m trying to make Prada take part in various non-fashion events. ”
- “Beauty without intelligence is, firstly, fresh, and secondly, short-lived.”
- “I like to dress like a nun. In discreet clothes you feel so easy and relaxed. ”
- “Fashion imposes clichéd beauty. I try my best to fix it. ”
- "To do what everyone expects from you - this means not to do anything new."
- “I do not separate fashion from everything that interests me in life. I forbade myself this for so long, until one day I asked: but actually, why? ”
- “It’s time for women to give up softness and not be afraid to fight for their rights.”